Well, I finally received the photocopies from the Devon Record Office of the 1700 census for Ottery St Mary, Devon. They had already told me that there would be 4 pages, so I thought to myself, "Huh! I can do that easily - it'll take no time at all!" That was until I got the photocopies.
The pages are written in a beautiful antique hand that I am not allowed to post online until I get permission from the local incumbent. Some of the names are easily readable, such as 'John Mills' or 'William Taylor', but others will take a lot of studying - and, oh, I am going to have to work through the National Archives tutorials on palaeography. Oh-dear-how-sad. Can't you just see me rubbing my hands in glee? *huge grin*
From a vague guess, it looks as though the only people who are listed are heads of households and widows. No children. Not even 'John Bloggs, 1 wife, 6 children, 4 pigs, 2 cows...'. Just 'John Bloggs'. But I have already found my great great great great great great great grandfather, Walter Bastyn.
This looks exciting! And as soon as I get church permission, I will post a snatch of the handwriting on this blog.
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
I'm getting ready for Cycle 3 of Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over. I participated in Cycle 1 back in January 2015, and as I lo...
13 June 1813: my great great great great great uncle was born. Samuel MURCH, born to another Samuel MURCH and Margaret Marshall Littley M...
On 14 June 1696, my 8 x great grandmother, Joanna STONE was christened in the small village of South Pool, Devon, England. Her father was...
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- Fearless Females: Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY - ...
- Fearless Females: The Brickwall Belles
- Fearless Females: Thomasine Dunstone AVERY in six ...
- 1700 census Ottery St Mary
- My First Award
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD outside the ...
- Fearless Females: Generations of religious women i...
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD's Boiled Cak...
- Fearless Females: Elsie Beatrice BLAGDON
- 1841 census: I've started!
- Fearless Females: Scanning for Girls
- Fearless Females: Rosamund and Loveday
- Fearless Females: Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL
- Fearless Females: Johanna Yates MURCH
- ▼ March (14)