Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY(1837-1915) was my paternal great-great-grandmother. On the 1891 census, her husband is described as a widower - but Emma Elizabeth had not died. She had been committed to the Bodmin (Cornwall) Lunatic Asylum on 25th July 1889 as a 'pauper patient' being of 'unsound mind'. The Medical Gentleman (the form actually calls him that!) had to record various notes and medical reasons for her being there, and give a description of her - in this case, not a physical description as such, more of a mental one.
Emma Elizabeth is described as being 'fairly well educated for her station in life', that is, as the wife of a dockyard labourer. I wonder what constituted 'fairly well educated'?
She was given tonics, and appeared cured, so was discharged on 3 June 1896. Seven years in a Lunatic Asylum - and the cure was taking tonics! Was that because medical knowledge hadn't advanced far enough, or because her 'illness' wasn't actually that severe? She lived for nearly twenty years after that, but I'm sure her stay in the Asylum had left its mark.
This post is part of the Fearless Females theme to honour National Women's History month.
- ► 2014 (54)
- ► 2013 (73)
- ► 2012 (59)
- Fearless Females: Emma Elizabeth Dunstone AVERY - ...
- Fearless Females: The Brickwall Belles
- Fearless Females: Thomasine Dunstone AVERY in six ...
- 1700 census Ottery St Mary
- My First Award
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD outside the ...
- Fearless Females: Generations of religious women i...
- Fearless Females: Audrey Ball HAYWOOD's Boiled Cak...
- Fearless Females: Elsie Beatrice BLAGDON
- 1841 census: I've started!
- Fearless Females: Scanning for Girls
- Fearless Females: Rosamund and Loveday
- Fearless Females: Minda Mary Edgcombe BALL
- Fearless Females: Johanna Yates MURCH
- ▼ March (14)
You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
You Might Also Be Interested In
This will be my fourth year participating in the A-Z Challenge. I just love it! Since this is a genealogy blog, I have always taken...
My gg grandfather, John Dunstone AVERY (1835-1903) is listed on several censuses as a Rigger. This was a specialised job (nowadays you need...
I hate actively dislike Evernote. There, I've said it. I started off several years ago with stacks and notebooks and a few ta...