Monday 14 April 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: L is for Legacy

www.a-to-zchallenge.com
You have a computer.  Well, you at least have access to one - that's how you are reading this!  So do you keep all your genealogical information on sticky notes or pieces of paper, scattered around the room?  Do you have a binder, with archival-quality plastic pockets?  Well, the second one may be OK when you only have a few names and dates - and the first one is often, I'm afraid, how most genealogists end up.

But to really organise things you need a computer - and a computer standalone program.  When I say 'standalone', I mean a program which sits on your computer at home and keeps your records, independent of online family trees.  They may be great for 'cousin bait', but I would not put my tree 'up there' and keep it as my only record.  What happens when there is an electrical storm and the Internet is down?

So which program do you choose?  It is down to personal preference.  Try before you buy - most of the genealogy software sites have a free trial copy for you to experiment with. Some people swear by RootsMagic Essentials (free).  Some like Ancestral Quest Basics (also free; Personal Ancestral File or PAF was developed from this one).  But my favourite is LEGACY.  You can download it - and it's another free one - and keep your records in it.  If you want the DeLuxe version, you can spend money on upgrading later on.  I prefer it to the other two I have mentioned because AQ looks a little flat and isn't so colourful, and RM doesn't show stepchildren in one family group (and for me, there was a noticeable learning curve).  Legacy is colourful, shows stepchildren, and does so much more, it is delightful. 

I would thoroughly recommend Legacy (and I'm not getting paid to recommend them, either.  At least, not at the time of writing, I'm not).  And once you have downloaded it, check out their free webinars as well!

6 comments:

  1. I don't know much about genealogy, but my father-in-law is practically a master. He's been writing his 'book' - more like 8 tomes - for over 12 years now. He's uncovered some amazing information.

    Sheri at Writer's Alley

    Home of Rebel Writer CREED 2014
    Mighty Minion Bureau Team #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the best stories come from our ancestors' daily lives! I have visited your site and am very impressed, especially with the header. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the tips. Will give it a try.. Request to visit my blog and let me know your thoughts. Will appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you leave me a link to get to your blog, please? Your name above just takes me to your Google+ page, and I am lost from there...thanks for stopping by GenWestUK, though!

      Delete
  3. I placed my mom's family history on a site but never thought of what you mentioned. I have all the original information that I keep (on a side note the sad way we have this, is when my Aunt was going to marry in 1942, the German regime had to make sure there was no Jewish blood(disgusting) so they went back 4 generations and that is why we have my mom's family history). I am going to check out Legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would always recommend keeping your genealogy on your computer as well as on a site. Glad you are going to check out Legacy. I think you'll love it!

      Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive