Monday 21 July 2014

Worldwide Indexing Event - Not A Challenge

Yes, I admit it: I haven't done any indexing for over a year.  So this Event was definitely more of a Challenge for me.  What is/was it?

For 24 hours on 20-21 July 2014 (depending on your timezone), indexers around the world were asked to submit a batch.  That was it.  No huge numbers of batches or indexing-for-the-whole-24 (unless, of course, you happened to be our Stake Indexing Director, who is marvellous).  Just one batch, at some point during the 24 hours (whenever was most convenient). 

My batch was taken from the 1866 baptism register for an area of Manchester.  Eight entries. Yes, only eight!, handwritten in clear writing which only made me stop once and have to work out what one letter was.  Took me all of 10 minutes.  And that was it! Date, baby's name, gender, father's name, mother's name.  Of course, there are more difficult ones to do - but only if you want to do them.  And, after doing easy-peasy ones, most people relish the thought of something that takes a few more brain cells.

Now, every time I see an announcement that FamilySearch has released billions more records, I can pat myself on the back and feel a part of it.  But indexing is so much more than my very own pat.  Think of all the deceased persons who now stand a better chance of their records being found.  Think of all the living persons who now stand a better chance of knocking down those genealogical brick walls (you know the ones: where you have been searching for an ancestor for thirty years, and can't find him anywhere).  Now, instead of patting my own back, I really feel as though I am putting my arm around other people's shoulders.


6 comments:

  1. I'm following your example next time, Ros, and will choose UK baptisms. I did PA obituaries and indexed 166 names! It was so confusing and took hours. I'd like an easy batch for a little change and then I can go back to something that needs more brain cells. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I helped index the US 1940 census - and I chose NYC! (all those Italian/Polish names). But one of the terrific things about indexing is you can choose what level you do - and there are so many projects to choose from! Keep on indexing - and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Love the way you describe the wider satisfaction to be gained from indexing records. How did you become involved? I have done indexing of local records, but nothing else and it is a task that appeals to my librarian's brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy my writing! You will *love* indexing, I am sure. Go to www.familysearch.org/indexing and read up about what to do. It is unbelievably simple! I became involved through my church. I was involved in the original 1881 census CDs - and I have never looked back...

      Delete
  3. Congrats on being a part of this! It is so important to have this information

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you look into it, as well? www.familysearch.org/indexing has lots of info on what it's all about.

      Thanks for stopping by! - as soon as I saw your name, I remembered you from the A-Z Challenge.

      Delete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews